Thursday, February 11, 2010

I NEED ALL OF YOUR INPUT PLEASE!

Here's my dilemma that I want to fix. I am the worst at maintaining a productive schedule when it comes to scripture reading. Nor my husband or I grew up with family scripture study. It's something we have always struggled to make a habit.I have tried early in the morning, which has to be about 6, which is early for 1st, 2nd graders(and babies will miss out). However I have two kids that have a VERY hard time accomplishing any more than getting ready, eating and out the door on time.It seemed more like an arguement trying to get them to stay awake let alone listen. I understand that not everyone is a morning person. These two wake up slowly and it takes them time to get going even though they go to bed at 8 and get a good night sleep. Halli is completely opposite, she's an early riser and ready in minutes, she's always required a lot less sleep. Now that Halli, Camry and Elijah are getting older we know that it's just going to get crazier, so it's very important for me to figure this out know. We already have a rule that our kids don't play during the week to limit how much our kids are out of the house. We limit how much activities they are involved in as well. The hard part is we now have 3 kids doing basketball 3 different nights a week, plus dance and activity days. Right now when they come home they have a list of chores they are expected to do, homework, play with siblings, dinner and bed. What I typically try to do is read right before bed, but the big problem is more often than not we get home from activities or town late or we are off our schedule and it's way past bedtime and we rush our kids to bed. What worst is that they will sometimes remind me once they are in bed a while and by then I am exhausted and ready to be done for the night. So I end up saying not tonight. It's a horrible flaw I hate to have to admit to. But this has always been an area I have had a weakness in. I really want to fix it. NOTHING is more important than daily reading our scriptures, I know that. I just can't make it happen like I would like to. I am have contemplated getting Halli up early and have her read with me and Casey. She's great with early mornings, she can also understand and read more so the one on one would be good for that. I am also contemplating reading to Elijah, Camry, together since they aren't as busy as Halli and they're about the same understanding and attention. I am thinking sometime after school before most of our driving happens. I am still unsure of when though. I would love everyone's help on what you do in your family with the different ages of your children and their different situations. Please know I am being brutally honest because I know I need to fix my own weakness and make what I want a priority. I just need a little help to accomplish that. We all have to learn some how, right?

Question-for those of you who read late at night, how to do overcome the next morning getting your kids up early, especially if it's numerous days in a row? I do think some comes down to routine and age. I think as my kids get older than will be able to handle less sleep better than the do right now, or at least I hope :)

PLEASE HELP ME!

6 comments:

Amber H. said...

We always read right before bed. I remember as a kid my mom would get us all up at 6 and we would read then, but it was a lot more contention and frustration than happy scripture time. So for now, that is what we do. No matter how late (tonight we got home at 10 and still took 20 minutes to read, do individual prayers, family prayers, and then a story) or how tired, we ALWAYS do it....even if we SOOO don't want to! I think it is best to do it as a family though, so it's family time and you are all together. It can be really hard sometimes, but it's worth it! Good luck with whatever you decide, but we stick to our nightly schedule!

Unknown said...

Tanya, sorry, I just got your message on the phone!!! Yes, you are awesome for wanting to get this habit nailed down. If you don't start now while your kids are young, it will not be as easy to get something going, so you are so right to try to get the habit established now. We do scriptures at night because that is when we are most alert and the kids aren't wanting to go to bed anyway. We did scriptures faithfully in the morning when I was growing up, but I admit to sleeping through most of it. We usually read between 7:30 and 8:00 at night. If we have something that makes it later....we still read no matter what. It will be so much better if you and Casey are on board together and the both of you dedicated to getting it done. Sometimes I am so tired at night (prego ya know) or I am not home so Danjee will totally take the lead and make sure they get the scriptures read. Sometimes Danjee has to work late and isn't home, so I am the one that makes sure we get it done. We have to combat sports schedules as well, but I would rather my kids get twenty minutes less sleep then not get the family scripture study in. Anyway, that's my two cents. Email me if you have any questions.

The Hermyzoo! said...

Thank you Amber and Tiffany for your info it was just the things I needed to hear. I must admit it's so amazing to hear you say that you do it no matter what. That's what I needed to hear because that was NEVER and isn't installed in me. I have to start praying to have that testimony and desire installed in me now. I want thank so bad for me kids so they never have to struggle with their families. I also struggled because I am a control freak when it comes to routine(time to eat and sleep) and time for bed. I have 2 kids that fall a part and one particular one that has bad behavior issues when there's lack of sleep. So much contention has comes from lack of sleep before and I end up giving up. I realize I need to stick with it and we will be blessed and overcome the challenge at hand. I will go forward having faith that my kids can and will survive whatever schedule we set up :P
Thank you both! You ROCK!!!!

Elise said...

Good Luck with the scripture thing, we are definatly night time scripture readers too, I might take some time to get into the habit but it will come.
I didn't realize you had moved to Declo, that is awesome, I'm glad you are enjoying it there.

WENDY said...

The one thing I have learned over the years is to be consistent, but be flexible. I have even stuck a conference or scripture cd in the car while schlepping kids to various activities, or read to them in the dark by flashlight (the power was out for 3 hours one night--you remember those famous em outages?) The odder the circumstance the better they remember it! We rarely miss, but we are pretty darn creative as to the way we get it done! Just keep trying different things, you'll find what works for you. You are a fantastic Mom! Sure miss and love you guys!

Bryan and Amanda Russ said...

We do two things. Right before we run out the door in the morning we take 5 minutes to share a scripture, a song and pray. Then in the evening with family prayer we have been reading a section from For the Strength of Youth. Sometimes (most of the time) it is crazy, but then there are those moments when it seems like something is getting through. Consistency is the key, Elder Bednar's talk in Oct 2009 about his family's experiences was inspiring to me, even an apostle's kids struggled, but they were consistent and his kids know that it is important.
I like the idea of the CD's and car rides, we've had some pretty awesome discussions on the ride to school.
We all just keep trying and praying and we'll find something that works. You guys are great!!!
Amanda